Pages

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Spring garden update

Spring is here but it is chillier than usual this year. Nevertheless I couldn't wait get started on the garden. On one of my visits to Costco, they were selling spring bulbs and I couldn't resist picking a bag. At the time I really didn't know where I can accommodate more plants but I just had to get them. The bag was a mix of Cala Lilies (my new favorite), Blazing Star (Liatris) and Coreopsis (Tickseed).

After much deliberation over the next couple of weeks and many many times of thinking through potential beds I finally had a plan. Its been 3 weeks since I planted the bulbs and I have been checking to see if any shoots have come up every single day. Yeah, i know it takes a couple of weeks but I am so impatient. Finally my wishes came true and last week I saw a small little shoot poking through the mulch in the side yard where I had planted some of the blazing stars. I was hesitant to get excited since the other two beds showed no signs of any shoots. I waited and waited and finally this past weekend I saw more shoots on this bed and saw a few on the other two locations Hooray!!


Blazing Star

It doesn't take much to get me happy and excited does it? I cannot wait for them to grow and start blooming. The Coreopsis, I think are also slowly coming out, they look nothing like it and I'm hoping its them and not another uninvited weed getting my hopes up..

The Cala lilies seem to still continue their process under ground. I have a yellow and a deep purple planted.I've been reading up a lot and it looks like they take longer and develop strong roots before sending shoots up. I just hope that there is some good action going on under ground and they will soon present themselves.

The roses are full of buds and the first couple of buds bloomed last week. Usually the first blooms are around Easter weekend but of course old man winter linegred a while longer and everything got delayed.
Rose bush around the deck
The same with the Peonies as well. By this time they are all gone but this year, the timing was perfect...the first blooms were out just in time for Mother's day and I got to make a beautiful arrangement. I want to make one with peonies and hydrangeas next.

Pink Peonies (Burgundy not pictured)
My hydrangeas are still sprouting leaves and it maybe another few weeks before we see any signs of buds.The lilies are doing well. I have about 35 of them and they are all out. The 10 or so I planted last year in the front are also out and I'm hoping to see more flowers on them this year!!
Lilies
The daisies are coming along nicely and the lone surviving Dahlia has not given up and its coming up right next to the daisies.The Hostas that I planted last year, didn't completely survive the winter. I had three of them and only one survived :(

Daisies and the lone Dahlia behind it
I aso went ahead and got the annuals for the planters on the deck. Petunias, Hibiscus, Verbana and a few others..

The Lone star on the garage entrance and the red,white and blue petunias

No comments: